The Let’s Get Movin’ programme delivers a range of healthy weight interventions for children, young people and families, to reduce BMI, improve health outcomes, prevent further weight gain and establish healthy habits for life.
The programme is for families with children and young people aged between 0 and 17 years who have concerns about their weight.
The team delivers a multi-component weight management programme (nutrition/diet, physical activity, positive lifestyles and individual support). Each programme changes dependent on the age of the child but the team will support families to achieve their goal over an 18 month period.
Session vary dependent on age for example:
0 – 5 years
- Introducing solid food courses for parents with babies 2-6 months old;
- Weight Management Service for children 2-4 years. This includes an 8 week course for families and 12 weeks free swimming.
Primary School Aged Children
- 5-7 years (KS1) Weight Management Programme. This includes an 8 week programme for children and parents, 12 weeks free swimming and a 1 week holiday scheme.
- 8-11 years (KS2) Weight Management Programme. This includes an 8 week programme for children and parents, 12 weeks free swimming and a 1 week holiday scheme.
Secondary School Aged Children
- 12-14 years (KS3) Weight Management Programme. This includes a structured 1 to 1 appointment and weekly classes.
- 15-17 years (KS4) Weight Management Programme. This includes a structured 1 to 1 appointment and access to supervised gym sessions and/or weekly classes.
Yes, many of our schools provide the venue for our courses. The team also delivers healthy lifestyle courses to every school in the Wigan Borough at pre-school, reception, year 6 and year 9 to support families further.
If your child is within the weight category and lives in the Wigan borough then all the services are FREE for 18 months.
To be referred your child may have been measured by the National Child Measurement Programme (NCMP) at school, which is also delivered by the Let’s Get Movin’ team, been measured in a healthy lifestyle programme or been referred by your GP or other health professional (e.g. health visitor, school nurse etc).
However if you have concerns about your child’s weight then you can self-refer and the team will arrange an appointment for you.
Simply call our health advisors on: 01942 828 812